Randpark BlogLatest news from the Randpark Golf Club
Randpark Golf Club Has a Rich 79 Year History
The Celebration of a Randburg GREAT
The club formerly known as the Windsor Park Club was founded during wartime, with the formation of a committee late in 1940 and the recruitment of 123 members.
The club was situated in the township of Windsor. The company, Windsor Park Limited, was formed to assist in capital development.
Piet Vosloo, the chairperson of the company for 34 years, had a vision of creating a large golf club to cater for the community of Randburg and the northern suburbs, including Northcliff and Linden.
His vision became a reality when, on behalf of the company, he purchased a piece of adjacent ground north of the Windsor Park course. The company then developed this piece of ground into a second golf course, which today is known as the Randpark course.
This necessitated the need for the company to provide a sufficient, suitably positioned clubhouse facility to cater for the two courses. The old clubhouse was situated just off of Republic Road, approximately where the new Absa building is now.
To finance this ambitious project, the company arranged a loan with Sanlam and developed a township on the ground surrounding the course.
With the assistance of the many members who purchased shares in Randpark Club Limited, and the support of major companies who took up large blocks of the shares in the company, coupled with the sale of the stands, the company was able to pay for all the capital development and repay its loan to Sanlam.
By Nicolas Zaal – Randburg Sun